Delicious Gluten Free Pasta Recipe - Vegan
This gluten free pasta recipe is my absolute favorite. My friend Indiana, who is neither gluten free nor vegetarian shared with me her favorite pasta recipe and I adapted it to my lifestyle.
What you will need:
1. Gluten free pasta, such as Ancient Harvest Quinoa spaghetti style pasta - Wait until the last 15 minutes before you start cooking the pasta.
I already wrote about how to make perfect al dente gluten free pasta.
2. Ingredients for the pasta sauce - This sauce will need to about 90 minutes cooking time, so plan accordingly.
Yields about 5 generous servings.
Ingredients For The Pasta Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic -- very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoons chili powder - depending on strength
- 2 cups portabello mushrooms - chopped into thick chunks (some places sell them already pre-chopped)
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 package gluten free tempeh -- cut into 1 inch think cubes
- One 28oz can diced tomatoes (or 5 medium fresh tomatoes - diced)- if I used canned I go with Sunflower brand, organic
- One 24 oz bottle of your favorite pasta sauce - I use mushroom or basil Sunflower brand, but any brand that isn't loaded with additives and high fructose corn syrup is ok
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat a medium-sized heavy pot over high heat for about a minute
- Pour in the Olive oil and continue to heat for about 15 seconds more. Reduce the heat to medium or just slightly a little more than medium
- Next put the thinly sliced garlic in the oil, stir and fry it until it starts to look golden brown - this should take about 3 minutes
- Pour the chili powder and ground black pepper into the garlic and oil mixture, and continue to fry for about another 20 seconds. At this point, the garlic is rapidly starting to turn a deep dark brown
- Remove from heat and set the pot aside -- I do this because everything at this point is too hot and I need it to cool down quite a bit before I take the next step. So, give it about a minute to cool down
- Add the tomatoes and return to heat; stir well. If you used canned tomatoes, put about 1/4 water into the can and swirl it around as if to clean the can - add that into the pot
- Add the mushrooms, bell pepper and tempeh. Mix and stir
- Cover and bring to boil - cooking for about 3 minutes
- Add the pasta sauce, mix and stir. Bring to boil
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting possible
- Simmer for a minimum of 90 minutes, stirring often, every 30 minutes or so
If you're vegetarian (not vegan) serve also with vegetarian Mexican style shredded cheese on top of this sauce you'll be licking your plate!
I hope you enjoy using my gluten free pasta recipe.
Come back and share with us how it turned out, or how you changed it around to suit your taste!
Done with this Gluten Free Pasta Recipe? Go to more Gluten Free Recipes